mailcow: dockerized - + = ¶
The mailserver suite with the 'moo'
What is mailcow: dockerized?¶
Mailcow, MailCow or mailcow? What is the exact name of the project?
Correct: mailcow, because mailcow is a registered word mark with a small m
mailcow: dockerized is an open source groupware/email suite based on docker.
mailcow relies on many well known and long used components, which in combination result in an all around carefree email server.
Each container represents a single application, connected in a bridged network.
- ACME (Automatic generation of Let's Encrypt certificates)
- ClamAV (anti-virus scanner) (optional)
- Dovecot (IMAP/POP server for retrieving mail)
- MariaDB (database to store user information, etc.)
- Memcached (cache for the SOGo webmailer)
- Netfilter (Fail2ban-like integration of @mkuron)
- Nginx (Web server for the mailcow UI)
- Oletools via Olefy (analyzing office documents for viruses, macros, etc.)
- PHP (programming language for most web-based mailcow actions)
- Postfix (Receiver/sender for mail traffic on the Internet)
- Redis (storage for spam information, DKIM keys, etc.)
- Rspamd (spam filter with automatic learning of spam mails)
- SOGo (integrated webmailer and cal/carddav interface)
- Solr (full-text search for IMAP connections for quick email search) (optional)
- Unbound (integrated DNS server to check DNSSEC etc.)
- A watchdog for basic monitoring of container health inside mailcow
But the heart of mailcow is the graphical web interface, the mailcow UI.
It offers a place for almost all settings and allows the comfortable creation of new domains and email addresses with just a few clicks.
But also other or more tricky tasks can be done in it with ease:
- DKIM and ARC support/generation.
- Black and white lists per domain and per user.
- Spam score management per user (reject spam, flag spam, greylist).
- Allow mailbox users to create temporary spam aliases
- Prepend email tags to subject or move emails to subfolders (per user)
- Allow mailbox users to toggle TLS enforcement for inbound and outbound messages
- Users can reset caches on SOGo ActiveSync devices
- imapsync to periodically migrate or retrieve remote mailboxes
- TFA: Yubikey OTP and WebAuthn USB (Google Chrome and derivatives only), TOTP
- Add whitelist hosts to forward mail to mailcow
- Fail2ban-like integration
- Quarantine system
- Anti-virus scanning including macro scanning in Office documents
- Integrated basic monitoring
- And much more...
The mailcow data (such as emails, user data, etc.) is stored in Docker volumes - take good care of these volumes:
The mails are compressed and encrypted. The key pair can be found in crypt-vol-1. Please don't forget to backup this and other volumes. #nobackupnopity
Support the mailcow project¶
Please consider a support contract for a small monthly fee at Servercow1 to support further development. We support you while you support us. :)
If you are super awesome and would like to support without a contract, you can get a SAL (Stay-Awesome License) that confirms your awesomeness (a flexible one-time payment) at Servercow.
There are two ways to achieve support for your mailcow installation.
For professional and prioritized commercial support you can sign a basic support subscription at Servercow. For custom inquiries or questions please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org instead.
Furthermore we do also provide a fully featured and managed mailcow here. This way we take care about the technical magic underneath and you can enjoy your whole mail experience in a hassle-free way.
Community support and chat¶
The other alternative is our free community-support on our various channels below. Please notice, that this support is driven by our awesome community around mailcow. This kind of support is best-effort, voluntary and there is no guarantee for anything.
Our mailcow community @ community.mailcow.email
Telegram (Support) @ t.me/mailcow.
Telegram (Off-Topic) @ t.me/mailcowOfftopic.
Telegram desktop clients are available for multiple platforms. You can search the groups history for keywords.
For bug tracking, feature requests and code contributions only:
- GitHub @ mailcow/mailcow-dockerized
Interested? Try it out right away!¶
Have we got your interest? Get a first overview of the functionalities of mailcow and your mailcow UI in our official mailcow demos!
Since September 2022 we´re providing two seperate Demo instances:
- demo.mailcow.email is the classic Demo based on the stable releases.
- nightly-demo.mailcow.email is the new nightly demo based on unreleased testing features. (So especially interesting for those who have no possibility to create a test instance themselves.)
Use these credentials for the demos
- Administrator: admin / moohoo
- Domain-Administrator: department / moohoo
- Mailbox: email@example.com / moohoo
The login credentials work for both variants.
Always up to date
The demo instances get the latest updates directly after releases from GitHub. Fully automatic, without any downtime!
Servercow is a hosting/support division of The Infrastructure Company GmbH (mailcow maintainer). ↩